Monday, November 2, 2009

Big Cooking Day

Life as Mom has a great posting on having a Big Cooking Day. She includes ideas for occupying the children or even including children. I would like to take on the once a month bulk cooking challenge. The winter seems like a great time to bake and put dinners in the oven. Has anyone else ever prepared 30 meals in a day? I am going to try at least 10 meals at a time once I let my freezer empty out a little. It will not only save me time by not chopping onions 4 times a week. It will save me time during those after school hours when I feel guilty I am not playing with the children. It will save time in the kitchen washing all those prep dishes too. I already use my Crockpot often and bake 2 - 4 times the recipe on breads and muffins and put them in the freezer. I also brown 5 pounds of ground beef or ground turkey at a time and put them in 5 clear plastic containers or freezer zip bags. I also cut up a whole cabbage, stock of celery and carrots or what ever veggie is on sale that week to have on hand in a large clear plastic container. I put it on the table with some ranch dressing to keep everyone busy while I finish cooking our meal. I know I see a difference in my time by using those time saving ideas. So I think I am ready for the challenge to kick it up a notch. How about you?

1 comment:

  1. Last night we made an extra big pot of spaghetti sauce. After the children were in bed I got out 2 pans and made lasagna and layered in tofu and noodles. I put them in the freezer. I know what my family will be having for dinner next week when I go out of town. Yep! Lasagna baked at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. It's only 2 extra meals but it is a start.

    ReplyDelete